Mood Swings are common problem during pregnancy. A pregnant woman experiences alternate episodes of euphoria and depression. She may loose her cool at the drop of a hat. She may suffer from intimidation about the birth of her child. She can anticipate a lot about the health of her child. She may suffer from alternate spells of happiness and agony. She may also burst into tears for a trivial reason.
Causes of Mood Swings During Pregnancy
The female hormones progesterone and estrogen are responsible for mood swings of a pregnant woman. There may be a temporary deficiency of neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine that cause depression in pregnant women. Mood Swings affect a pregnant woman from the 6th week of the first trimester. The mood swing continues to affect her in the second trimester of pregnancy when the baby shows little movement. The mood swing escalates during the third month of pregnancy. She suffers from anxiety. She looses her cool and suffers from insomnia. She also thinks about how to look after her baby in the future.
She suffers from a fear psychosis.
Treatment For Mood Swings in Early Pregnancy
A lot of techniques are used to keep mood swings at bay.
The husband should provide the warmth of love and empathy for his better half. He should provide her the mental support and perk up her confidence level. He should have to spend quality time with his wife.
- Pregnant women should have ample amount of sleep. She should take her food 3 hours before going to bed.
- She should take light food before going to sleep.
- She can wear fashionable garments and beautify herself.
- The pregnant woman can perform yoga for 20 to 30 minutes everyday to elevate her spirit by the strict supervision of her doctor.
- She can also go out for an excursion with her husband. However, she should not overdo anything.
- She can read the books on philosophy and religion that can provide her the mental strength and peace.
- She can unwind with her friends.
- She can dig into the mouthwatering delicacies of her choice.
- She can taste her favorite food that satisfies her taste buds.
The pregnant woman is advised to consult the doctor if the mood swings continue for more than 15 days in spite of following the afore -mentioned preventive measures. Bipolar Disorder may afflict a pregnant woman where the mood swings continue at a stretch for more than 15 days.
She may have to take the help of a psychiatrist in cases of severe mood swings which is called Bipolar Disorder.