17 Weeks Pregnant women can feel the movement of baby inside. Both mother and baby undergo several changes at this stage. The uterus of the mother expands and is just inches away from the pubic bone and naval. The secretion of fluid all over the body is increased because of increase in the blood volume. That is why most of the women at this time face problems of sweating, increased vaginal discharge, nasal congestion, etc. Pregnancy in 17th week brings host of infection like rashes, allergies, cold, etc. To avoid all these pregnancy allergies consult your doctor and also try to improve your diet. During this phase many women also suffer from cramps and uneasiness. To avoid these change positions while sleeping and sitting.
17 Weeks Pregnant What to Expect
During the 17th week pregnancy, the baby weight around 4 ounces. As the week progresses the umbilical cord becomes thicker, stronger and longer. This helps in carrying nutrients and blood to baby’s body. The sense of hearing is also improved at this stage as the ears take their final position. The another major change in baby is the development of adipose tissue. This tissue helps in regulating the body temperature of baby. At this stage the head of the baby is erect and the whole body is proportionate. The eyes of the baby are still closed but the skin is still transparent. During this time the baby becomes more heavy than placenta. Any loud noise can startle the baby and one can feel the movement.
You May Like: 16 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms, Baby Development, Ultrasound
17 Weeks Pregnant Ultrasound
You have now entered the 17th week of your pregnancy. This is an important time for you and your baby. In fact, your doctor has probably recommended you an ultrasound Imagery test or Doppler. Don’t be alarmed! This is a normal procedure and is done to control your child’s health and gender (if you desire).
The most important thing is to exclude any possible development conditions that can affect the health of the child or the mother. Your physician will inform you of any visible anomaly. Usually, other tests are needed to determining such conditions. Do not be discouraged by these possibilities! Remember that finding these problems just a bit earlier, can be a huge advantage in their treatment!
Why an Ultrasound at 17 weeks is Important
- Controlling the placenta and umbilical cord. This two structures are now more visible and well-developed. The placenta should be as big as the fetus and the umbilical cord has now become thicker. Nowadays, ultrasound tests also allow the control of the amniotic fluid.
- Controlling the size and exterior development of the fetus. The size of your child at 17th weeks is at approximately 13 cm (5 inches). The weight varies from 3.6 to 5 ounces. During this time, the head of your baby will become bigger while the limbs will seem thin and long compared to the body. The eyes should now be positioned at their normal location in front of the head. The doctor also checks the blood vessels that are easily visible under the thin skin.
- 17 weeks pregnant ultrasound is important because of controlling the heartbeat. At 17 weeks of pregnancy, the fetus heartbeat is regulated by the brain. An ultrasound allows its measurement. The normal heart rate at this stage of development is 140 to 150 bpm.
- The ears should now be almost in their normal position. According to certain studies, the baby can hear and react to sounds. A lot of parents report that the baby moves or kicks (as it is generally said) in cases of loud noises.
- Many women want to determining the gender of the baby and that’s why they consult with their doctor after ultrasound. But this is only possible on certain conditions (the position of the uterus in the womb)
17 Weeks Pregnant Baby Development
During the seventeenth week of pregnancy the size of the abdomen becomes large. The internal organs starts moving to give space for the uterus. This helps the baby to grow. At this stage the length of the uterus increases and the top of the uterus becomes more rounded. The intestines move up and out as the uterus pushes and because of this one can feel the uterus in standing position. Many women experience periodic pains in legs which is technically called sciatic nerve pain. To avoid getting prone to any infectious disease boost your immunity by eating healthy food.
Keeping an hygienic lifestyle is very important during pregnancy in 17th week.
If you are expecting twins then increase the intake of protein and vitamin oriented food. To make sure your baby is developing good health go for routine tests like Triple Test and Alpha-Fetaprotein. These tests will ensure you a safe delivery.